Saturday, September 18, 2010

I drink alone


I have a confession. I like to drink alone. They say only real alcoholics do this and if that's true....well, at least I'm high functioning. It started when I lived in my tiny efficiency "apartment" and I had to be at school at an ungodly hour every morning (7 am). I couldn't go out and have fun, so I would pick up a bottle of wine on my way home from work. At first it was just a glass or two with a few cigarettes and some TV, but soon I was able to finish the whole bottle. I felt so French with my wine and my cigarettes and my self importance. It took me a while to get the hang of drinking alone with internet and cell phone access, but I soon trained myself to only look at Facebook; no commenting, chatting or changing my status. There were a few mornings I had to go back and delete delete delete. I also learned its best just to forget I have a phone than to drunk text people.

School ended and I was free to stay out all hours of the night and do as I pleased, but there was still something great about a few drinks and my own company. Now I have a roommate and I really like her, but I relish the time I get to enjoy in the apartment alone with a nice bottle of wine. Now that I can't smoke inside, I've branched out to drinking different things that don't make me want to light one smoke off of the other. For instance, tonight I'm having a white Russian. Yes, it's Saturday night, but as I mentioned, I drink alone.

2 comments:

  1. See, I don't see drinking alone as something that should be worried about either. It's more like a group hobby that you can practice and enjoy while alone. It's also a situation enhancer, and why should that be restricted to only social situations? Judgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My response to this was getting long so I just turned it into a post.

    ReplyDelete