Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mysteries

So I had a fair amount of wine last night. Before I went to bed, I poured myself a large pint glass of water. I woke up in the middle of the night, dehydrated and desperate, frantically pawing at my nightstand for my water. It was nowhere to be found. Assuming I'd find it in the morning, I coaxed myself back into a dry and uncomfortable sleep.
This morning it was the first thing on my mind. Not only did I require a large glass of water absolutely immediately, but I wanted that exact glass of water. I had concluded a few hours earlier that I had left it in the kitchen, but it wasn't there. Perhaps I had set it on a bookcase in the living room while turning off lights? Nope. It was quite literally nowhere.
I stood in the middle of my apartment, completely lost. I poured the water... and then what??
My new glass of water tastes much fresher than the lost one would have, to be sure, but it's much less satisfying, as my quest ended in a depressing feeling of confused disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment